Our dining room re-do, and I use the term re-do lightly, as it was more of a dining room tweak, is pretty near to completion.. There was one more area that deserved some attention – this massive blank wall.
Because we moved the furniture around, we also moved some of the existing art work, leaving a gaping hole where a large painting used to be. We needed to come up with something!
Our budget for this project was.. well.. since we hadn’t exactly planned to redecorate the dining room, there wasn’t really a budget at all.. more of a steal from one project to complete another. In other words, it had to be a lost cost solution.
I’ve been following along with a blog series called DIY Ditto and, although I haven’t been participating so far (I keep missing the deadlines), I’m so inspired by the projects that I decided to try a few on my own outside of the series. I really loved the idea of using fabric for custom art. The other challenges they have lined up also look like a ton of fun and could definitely be of use around here. Maybe I’ll get it together enough to participate in August – we can hope!
This is about as easy as it gets, it was super inexpensive, and has such a tremendous impact. It was really fun to work on. We had a great time looking for the fabric – I talked Shay in to coming with me, which was pretty funny – his first trip to a craft/fabric store! I believe there was a line that went something like.. “So, this is what these places look like inside.. “. It was almost like I’d introduced him to the secret society of women. I even had him hold my purse at one point. It was excellent – and so is he!
The fabric was regularly priced at $40/yard – of course I can’t find anything I like for less, right? BUT, it was on sale for 50% off, AND I only needed 1/2 of a yard. $11 for the fabric. Everything else, I already had on hand. The frames and mats were from an old set of prints we had and will probably never use again.
I spray painted the mats with Krylon Satin Dover White. I was able to use the foam board from the original prints as the base for the fabric. I applied a thin coat of spray adhesive to the foam board, applied the fabric on top, smoothed it out and reinserted in to the frames.
I think they turned out really well and fill the space nicely. They also complement my new candles perfectly – or maybe it is the other way around.
It’s definitely time for a full dining room reveal! Stick around!