Peek-a-boo Drawstring Bags – So you can see what it’s inside! – a cute little tutorial

Posted in DIY, ORGANIZATION, PLAYROOM
on January 6, 2014

I’m a bit OCD when it comes to toy organization. I like sets to stay with sets and have been known to sort toys by the hour, on a bi-monthly basis, all the while muttering “I’m never going to let it get this disorganized again!” It’s a sickness really, given that it of course ends up just as disorganized by the end of the day, but to me, there is nothing worse than going to play with a farm set and only having a pig, one piece of the fence, and perhaps a farmer’s hat – without the farmer. It’s kinda hard to play farm without the set. As a result, I’m always looking for easy ways to keep things together. I’m also always looking for ways to gather toys in ways that make it easy to identify what toys are there, without having to dump the entire container out – a favorite pastime of Ayden.

These cute little bags were a score on both counts and are so, so easy. Although I’ve used them to store toys, the uses for them are endless. You don’t believe me? Just watch.. you’ll see!
For this project you will need:
Fabric of your choice
Contrasting fabric for drawstring pocket
twine or twill tape for drawstring
Sewing Machine
Matching Thread
Clear Vinyl
My finished bag size is approximately 14″ x 14″. I began by cutting two pieces of fabric, with right sides together, approximately 16″ x 16″.

Cut two pieces, in a coordinating fabric, measuring 14.5″ wide x 4″ long to be used as the drawstring pocket. Also cut two pieces of cord (to be used as the drawstring pulley) at 18″ long each. Put these aside. Ignore my nasty, dry hand.
Using one of the main fabric pieces, fold in half width-wise (from top to bottom) and cut a “window” on the fold of your fabric, ensuring there are at least 3″ on all outside edges.
Using this cut out as  your guide, cut one piece of vinyl at least 1.5″ larger on all sides. Put aside.
On each of the four corners of your “window”, cut in to the corner diagonally by 1/2″.
Finish any raw edges as necessary.
 Press the top edge down  1″, on both the front and back pieces of the bag. On the front piece (the one with the window), on the backside, press the 1/2″ edge of the window sides flat on all four edges.
On the pieces of fabric reserved for the drawstring pocket, press the side edges in by 1/4″ on each end, and press the long edges in by 1/2″ on each side.

On the wrong side of the fabric, pin the vinyl piece to the pressed edge of the window, ensuring the vinyl overhangs evenly on all four sides.
On the right side of this same piece, pin the right side of the drawstring pocket approximately 1/2″ from the top. Repeat for back.
On the front piece, stitch close to the edge on the top of bag. Stitch close to the edge on window.
For the back, stitch close to top edge.
On drawstring pocket, stitch close to both top and bottom edges, leaving a minimum 1″ pocket on both the front and back of the bag.
With right sides together, stitch the front of the bag to the back on three sides, leaving the top open. Turn and press.
Thread one of the cords being used for the drawstring through each drawstring pocket, and secure each edge with a knot.
You have a completed bag!
There truly are a million uses for these. I hope you can find a place for one!

• Ursula Rosien

Super cute! I took a sewing class a few months ago and I could make this! Visiting from Made in a day linky šŸ˜‰

January 7, 2014 at 5:18 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks, Ursula! You definitely could. Email me if you need any further pointers! I love helping out beginning sewers!

January 7, 2014 at 7:45 pm Reply
  • Aprilrutherford

Cute! I need to commission your sewing skills for something….

January 7, 2014 at 5:58 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Would it be a fair trade for me to trade your table building skills for my sewing skills? I think so! šŸ˜‰

January 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm Reply
  • Natasha Mairs

found you via made in a day blog hop, now following on twitter, facebook, google+ & pinterest

Natasha @ Serenity You

January 8, 2014 at 2:35 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks, Natasha! Following you back!

January 10, 2014 at 4:09 pm Reply
  • Kristi Blackstone

Super cute bag and wonderful job on the tuturial! I like how you covered all the details to make it more simple to make. Great job, I'm glad I found your blog. I am a new fan and follower of your blog and social networks so I can stay updated when you post new stuff. If you get a minute, visit my blog and I would really appreciate it if you woud follow me. I'm trying to rebuild my site, I abandoned it for a whille so need to catch up. Once again, great blog!!!!

Kristi B
    Mommyhood, Makeup, & Must Haves

January 10, 2014 at 7:08 am Reply
    • Kim Young

Thank you, Kristi! I'm stopping by your blog as we speak. šŸ™‚ Have a great Friday!

January 10, 2014 at 4:08 pm Reply
  • Ginger Bergemann

So cute! I love the idea of the peek-boo! It's perfect. If you're interested, I'd love to have you link up to the link party going on right now at Gingerly Made. http://www.gingerlymade.com/2014/01/show-tell-59.html

January 10, 2014 at 2:33 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks so much, Ginger! I'll definitely take a look at the link party. šŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping by!

January 10, 2014 at 4:08 pm Reply
  • Elena

Very clever! Love the tutorial! Stopping by from Craftibilities.blogspot.com.

January 11, 2014 at 4:31 am Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks so much, Elena! I'm looking forward to checking out your blog! šŸ™‚

January 11, 2014 at 7:25 pm Reply