St. Patrick’s Day Quickie – Pot ‘o gold Rainbow Brownie Bites

Posted in FOOD, HOLIDAYS
on March 15, 2014

Here is a fun and easy idea for a quick St. Patrick’s Day dessert!

As you may already know, my family is fairly big on St. Patrick’s Day. I always try to put together something fun for them that doesn’t take a lot of work. This year, in addition to our authentic meal of corned beef and cabbage, I also will be serving this fun little dessert that I like to call rainbow-in-a-pot-with-gold.

I’ve made a version of rainbow icing in the past, but was on the lookout for something a little easier, when I came across this fantastic tutorial on tie dye icing at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. She even has a video explaining how to frost cupcakes.. genius!

Source

Her method was so much easier than my original process of coloring the frosting, then piping it in individual stripes into a single piping bag.. talk about complicated! This method was SO easy and exactly what I was looking for.

I started with store bought brownie bites, a tub of white frosting – I wasn’t going fancy on this – and Wilton gel colors. You don’t have to use Wilton, but do use a gel food coloring – you can’t beat the vibrancy. I used red, blue, yellow, orange, green, and violet and created two lines of each color.

Using a small paintbrush, I painted the lines on to a piece of cling wrap. I spread over the lines with the frosting, being careful not to smear the dye, rolled up the cling wrap in to a tub and twisted the ends. Following Mel’s method, I inserted the cling wrap tube into a frosting bag and pulled one twisted end through the tip. I think I had a bit too much frosting in my tube, which made it difficult to pull the cling wrap tube through the piping bag hold. Next time I would divide the frosting in half – it would be a bit easier to work with.

Then, I piped it on to the brownie bites.

For the finishing touch, I added a gold chocolate coin. All in all, a very quick, yet festive, project. May the luck of the Irish be with you!

• Life Redesign 101

This is so clever! I normally would not try something like this as it seems too complicated. The non cook in me loves that you started with purchases brownies and frosting. In my world that is more realistic!

March 16, 2015 at 3:13 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks! There is a time for homemade, but definitely a time for store bought. I actually really love the taste of those little brownie bites! Happy St. Paddy's day!

March 17, 2015 at 1:37 pm Reply
  • The Golden Rule Kids

Wow these look great! You did a awesome job with these! I love all the rainbow colors on the frosting!

March 16, 2015 at 3:44 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thank you! It was a fun little project.. Certainly got the kids in the spirit!

March 17, 2015 at 1:38 pm Reply
  • Ashley Packard

I really love all the colors in the frosting, especially the way they swirl around. I definitely want to try!

March 16, 2015 at 6:14 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

I've used the swirl for birthday cupcakes as well. The method is fool proof. Perfect for me! Ha! Make sure you share if you do give it a try yourself, I'd love to see!

March 17, 2015 at 1:39 pm Reply
  • Jenn Youse

Those are adorable, I'll have to try this!

March 16, 2015 at 8:02 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks, Jenn! I hope you do! It's a fun project!

March 17, 2015 at 1:40 pm Reply
  • Emily

These are awesome! What a fun idea for St. Patrick's Day. And for other occasions as well! 🙂

March 16, 2015 at 8:08 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks Emily! They were a huge hit here! Add icing to anything in this house and we're all yours!

March 17, 2015 at 2:12 pm Reply
  • lesliesholly

Very pretty! I've never been able to master making food look good, only taste good!

March 16, 2015 at 10:49 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

I'm usually on the taste good side as well, but this was easy peasy. I love projects that make us look good! Thank you!

March 17, 2015 at 2:14 pm Reply
  • Sherri Osborn

Love this! Such an easy way to color the frosting.

March 17, 2015 at 1:36 am Reply
    • Kim Young

The easiest! Clean up was a snap, too!

March 17, 2015 at 2:15 pm Reply
  • Amy Nielson

Very cute, and so creative!!

March 17, 2015 at 3:53 am Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks Amy! Happy St. Patricks Day!

March 17, 2015 at 2:15 pm Reply
  • Sarah Nenni-Daher

Thanks so much for the tutorial – I've only ever done an ombre look like this, but yours turned out perfectly. #creativebloggersnetwork

March 17, 2015 at 5:00 am Reply
    • Kim Young

I've done the ombré as well using a different method but this was so much easier! Thanks for stopping by!

March 17, 2015 at 2:13 pm Reply