Bollywood Inspired Party

Posted in KIDS PARTIES, PARTIES, TABLETOP
on June 17, 2015

No, there isn’t a glitch in your system, I am writing a blog post. I know you’ve been hearing the crickets chirping instead of my fingers flying on the keyboard!

I’d bore you with the details of the past few weeks, and the reasons why my beloved blog has had to take a bit of a backseat, but let’s just summarize, shall we? Here’s the skinny:

• End of school
  • Fifth-grade graduation – is that even a thing?
  • Dance recitals
  • Adult children are moving in. And repeat.
  • The 21 Day Fix – I’m eating out of containers.
  • Autism, autism, autism
  • Mandatory (and much needed) family time
  • Three parties!

Are you exhausted yet because I know I am? The show must go on. Today, I clawed my way back to share one of the three parties with you! If you know me, you know I love a party!

Our lovely girl, Bekah, was turning 12, and the celebration was at our house this year. We threw a fun party for family and friends, followed by a movie/sleepover for eight tweens-bordering-on-teens. The theme – Bollywood!

Inspiration comes from the most unlikely of places – in this case, a mini-card stock book that I can’t for the life of me even remember when or why I picked up. Add to that Bekah’s love for her favorite reigning Disney princess.. Jasmine, of course.. It was a unique theme that was easy to execute. Bright colors, mixed patterns and an over-abundance of a glittery gold set just the right mood and tone.

Here are a few of the highlights.

Invites created with Picmonkey. My inspiration came from here and here.

The party starts at the front door. For the entry way, I used various pieces from around my home, and from different projects. Click the links below to see how I’ve used some of these items in the past!

Mirror draping – Walmart party table cloths, the most versatile party decor! Check here and here for other purposes.
Peacock feathers – Peacock Halloween costume.
Gold beads – Christmas decor.
Table covers – Mine, drapes, curtains and a scarf embellished with gold washi tape.
I like to start the party with an interactive activity – it’s perfect for that time in between the first guest arriving and the last and it’s a fantastic icebreaker. This embellished bud vase craft was inexpensive and simple enough for even the littlest guests. Gold puffy paint works it’s magic while homemade glass paint adds just a hint of color on what seems a personal genie bottle. You can find a full tutorial at Creme de la Craft.
Dinner (Pizza – I wasn’t up for authentic cuisine cooking!) was on the floor! We made the table using our Ping Pong table top and 6-7 milk cartons in a row.
When decorating for a Moroccan/Indian theme, think layers of color. We laid down thick golden-colored drapes as the base, followed by an orange cotton sheet as a runner. Layers of quilting fabric, fat-quarter size, in various jewel tones layered on top. A roll of gold organza ribbon lay down the middle.
The table sat 12 comfortably – if sitting on the floor is your idea of comfortable!

Houndstooth Pillows
Plates – Party City.
Chargers – Find them at Walmart during the holiday season for cheap. See here for other uses.

Dessert, of course, included cake – coconut is Bekah’s favorite and her request every year – as well as a selection of other yummy sweets and treats. The decor was made up of various items from around the house, as well as a no-sew simple table runner, gold spray-painted elephant toys and my favorite go-to, vinyl tablecloths.
Best OMG Cheater Coconut Cake
Other no-sew table runner ideas
Gold Votives – Target Dollar Aisle

The key to a successful sleepover is keeping everyone busy! Other activities we enjoyed included DIY Mendhi tattoos using paint brushes dipped in gel food coloring.

The faux henna recipe:

• 2 drops orange gel food coloring
  • 1 drop green orange gel food coloring
  • 1/2 cup water
Design printables – Yoga DoodleArt

Another favorite activity – Photo booth fun with our new Fuji Instax Mini! We love, love this thing!

DIY Photo Booth with props and a Fuji Instax Mini 8

Props by The Quirky Quail

There might have also been a bit of belly dancing, movie-watching and snack-eating going on.. but I promised not to post ALL of the photos. All in all, I think everyone had a nice time!

The next morning, each sleepy lady received a gift bag full of the following:

• Gold bangle bracelets – Target Dollar Aisle
  • Bead ring – Pier 1 Imports – check them out for clearance items for this theme!
  • Beaded Mirror – Pier 1 Imports
  • Finger cymbals (these might have come out for belly dancing!)  – Amazon.com
  • Tamborine – Amazon.com
  • Candy – Rollos rock!

I hope you’ve found some interesting and useful ideas for your own Bollywood/Moroccan themed party, and I hope you’ll come back and visit us soon!

For more ideas on incorporating a Bollywood/Moroccan theme, check out my Pinterest board.

Looking for more party fun? You might also enjoy:

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Pin for later – Bollywood Party Ideas

/ /

• Mom on the Move

This looks like so much fun! Great ideas!

June 17, 2015 at 6:19 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks so much for dropping by and taking a peek!

June 17, 2015 at 8:42 pm Reply
  • Ronda Ogilvie

how fun!! looks like your daughter had an awesome time! Everything looked beautiful!

June 17, 2015 at 7:18 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thank you, Ronda! It was a great group of girls and a really fun time. I'm not sure how much sleep was involved, but eh, sleep is over-rated!

June 17, 2015 at 8:43 pm Reply
  • Karyl Henry

Love themed parties! The color scheme is so bright and beautiful. And the henna "tattoos" look great.

June 17, 2015 at 8:07 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

I do too! It just makes it so much easier to plan! I was shocked to find out how many things I had around the house that fit into the theme perfectly. They really loved the henna "tattoos". It's always the simple things!

June 17, 2015 at 8:45 pm Reply
  • Jen C

Love the photo props. Going to keep this link for the future. Thanks!

June 17, 2015 at 8:09 pm Reply
  • Jen

What a great idea! I love it. I never would have thought of this for a party but now I kind of want to do it!

June 17, 2015 at 8:14 pm Reply
  • Michele@liferedesign101.com

Wow! You go all out for parties! Your daughter and her friends will never forget this party. You win the Good Mom Award!

June 17, 2015 at 8:20 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks Michele! Who knew you could get an award for being slightly insane? lol Seriously though, I do love, love planning a party, and I'm well aware that I have problem. Little one.

June 17, 2015 at 8:40 pm Reply
  • Kim Seghers

I got tired just reading your list , Kim ! Geez, you have been one busy lady. I love your daughters party pictures everything looks lovely. Those plates are gorgeous too!

June 17, 2015 at 8:40 pm Reply
  • Lydia Filgueras

What an awesome party theme and lots of great activities, too! I love that you kept the food simple, too.

June 17, 2015 at 9:26 pm Reply
  • Christine

Looks like a fun party. I love all the different colors and textures. What a great idea to incorporate a Disney theme into something less princessy! And I love that you were able to mostly use things you already had on hand.

June 17, 2015 at 10:17 pm Reply
  • annabelt @ geeks diet

That looks wonderful – I love the colours and textures of your fabrics! Sounds like a great party šŸ™‚

June 17, 2015 at 10:31 pm Reply
  • The Honeycomb Home

Happy Birthday to your daughter, love the decorations!

June 18, 2015 at 3:02 pm Reply
  • Cathy Carroll

What a cute idea for a party. I love all your colorful decorations. It looks like the girls had a great time.

June 18, 2015 at 9:47 pm Reply
  • Amy Nielson

This is SO cute. I want a Bollywood party. I'm telling my hubby, but somehow, I think it will turn out a little different that this one. šŸ˜‰

June 20, 2015 at 1:14 am Reply
  • Jessica @ Moxie and Mischief

I love this idea!!! I wish I could have been at the party, it looks awesome. Lol.

June 20, 2015 at 1:43 am Reply
  • yanique

This Bollywood themed party is so unique and looks like a lot of fun!

June 20, 2015 at 7:55 am Reply
  • Mary La Fornara

Theme parties are the best! Looks beautiful, the colors are amazing! Your daughter is one lucky girl to have a mom like you!

June 20, 2015 at 3:57 pm Reply
  • lesliesholly

OK, you are just AMAZING. You make all the rest of us slacker moms look bad. Everything looks so beautiful!

June 20, 2015 at 8:23 pm Reply
  • Brooke Knipp

What a creative, awesome party theme for tween girls! I love it. Gonna have to tuck this one away for later. I have two little girls and can so easily see this being a big hit in a couple years! Thanks šŸ™‚

June 20, 2015 at 8:57 pm Reply
  • Tinseltown Mom

Wow, very cool idea! I bet your house full of tweens had a blast!

June 21, 2015 at 12:22 am Reply
  • Kaitie Fuchsia Freezer

awesome themed birthday party and perfectly age appropriate! Love how all the small details came together!

June 21, 2015 at 8:57 pm Reply
  • Jccee Barney

Yes, you have been busy. I love everything about the party! It looks like they had a wonderful time.

June 21, 2015 at 10:04 pm Reply
  • Deepika

The theme looked beautiful. Loved the idea of faux heena tatoo

June 22, 2015 at 5:59 am Reply
  • mark lawrence

Oh my goodness, this Bollywood birthday party theme is just too cute and colors you have used are just so radiant. I am really happy that girls had some good time; I am also looking to organize a party at venues Chicago and will try to make it like yours.

January 29, 2016 at 7:45 am Reply