Fall Hanging Basket Ideas – Fall Garden Tour 2016

Posted in DECOR, DIY, OUTSIDE
on September 28, 2016

Hey, Y’all! It’s been all about the fall around here lately, and that is not going to stop! I’m here to talk to you today about the plants I chose for my latest hanging basket. With the first day of Fall behind us, it might be time to think about updating your hanging planters with flowers and plants that will take you right into the cooler temperatures that are just around the corner!

Last week I showed you the inside of my home where I added a few – OK a lot – of Fall touches. Today it’s all about the outside of my house!

Earlier in the summer, I participated in a summer garden tour organized by Tara from Lehman Lane. It was a whole lot of fun! I was able to work with some of my favorite bloggers, and I ended up with a super cute sitting area just off of my garage. Needless to say when Tara mentioned she was organizing a Fall garden tour I jumped at the chance!

Although the curb appeal boosts that my front porch recently received still has a lot of life in it, I still like to add a few seasonal touches, starting with the hanging basket that I have hanging above the numbers of my house.

Obviously, this fern has seen better days!

This is what I used to create my planter:

• A container
  • Soil
  • Plants
  • If using a wire container, you’ll also need a peat liner

When choosing plants for a hanging basket, I look for plants that can take a bit of dry out because I don’t always remember to water them. I also usually look for plants I can take a bit of shade because my porch has an overhang and therefore very little sunlight gets to them. For fall plants I’m also looking for those that can take a little bit of a frost.

Specifically, I look for a cascading or a low plant variety to start, a large or taller sizes plant and a medium size plant. I tend to buy the plants in odd numbered amounts rather than even because I find that it’s easier to space the plants out.

It’s a bit tough to find flowers that cascade for a flower basket for fall so instead I opted for the chartreuse foliage the sweet potato vine.  It’s an annual where I live, which means that it will die off when the weather gets too cool, but for now, it will add a much-needed pop of color to the basket. For this basket, I used three 4-inch pots.

For my large plant, I used a ‘Sunsparkler Dazzleberry’ sedum which has an upright habit, and will get to be about 18 inches tall and will not spread a whole lot. I purchased one to use in the center of the basket.

For my medium-sized plants, I went with petunias in two different colors – ‘Matrix Orange’ and ‘Red w/blotch.’ I purchased two cell-packs which gave me 12 plants and only used nine of them. The rest are put into a small pot to sit on the table outside on my porch.

My container is a semi-circle and therefore planting was a cinch, as I only had one view to worry about. If you’re using a round planter, I’d recommend doubling. To plant a semi-circle planter, begin by adding a small amount of soil to your lined container. Plant your cascading plants towards the front edge of your basket, being sure to leave sufficient room between plants. Next, add your center, or tall plant. Last, add your medium height plants between the tall and cascading plants, filling in any space. Add soil in and around all the plants. Water well then hang!

To finish off my Fall porch I added a few other accessories.

Mums lining the walkway ensure a pretty view all the way to the front door.

Pumpkins always say Fall is here.

Throw pillows and blankets in warm colors add a pop of color and texture.

Chair Makeover
Chair Makeover

A fun wreath completes the look.

Wreath

Here are those un-used pansies I mentioned.

And just like that, the outside is as ready for fall as the inside!

Thank you to Tara for including me in such a fun hop! For other Fall Garden ideas, be sure to check out all of the inspiration overloads from these talented ladies!

• Amy Dowling

I love your fall basket! I bet your porch is your favorite spot to hang out this fall!!

September 28, 2016 at 1:28 pm Reply
  • Meg - Green With Decor

Looks great!! I love that green watering can! And your rockers – what a comfy place to sit and enjoy fall!

September 28, 2016 at 6:15 pm Reply
  • Kelly Snyder

You did a great job bringing new life to your hanging basket. You've got a great space to enjoy the beautiful days of fall!

Best,
    Kelly

September 29, 2016 at 12:27 pm Reply
  • Theresa Beauteeful Living

I love the basket you created for fall and that wreath is just too adorable! Thanks for sharing your space. Happy Fall!

September 29, 2016 at 3:28 pm Reply
  • Tara Lehman

Kim, the front of your home looks beautiful! Love the planter you created over your house numbers. Your rockers look super cozy too! Thanks so much for sharing your outdoor space with us!

September 30, 2016 at 6:33 pm Reply
  • Maria Brittis

I love the plant DIY and I remember those chairs you made from the the spring,They look great for the fall.
    Have a great weekend.
    Maria

October 1, 2016 at 2:41 am Reply
  • Michelle James

Love it Kim! The wreath is very cool!

October 1, 2016 at 1:59 pm Reply
  • Samantha

I love all of your pumpkins and fall florals! That wreath is super cute, too!

October 1, 2016 at 7:55 pm Reply
  • Kim Seghers

Your home looks beautiful! I love how you decorated your porch it looks so festive and your hanging basket looks pretty!!

October 3, 2016 at 2:06 am Reply
  • Jennifer Fenton

Love your watering can and that Fall window box. Your porch looks so inviting and pretty. Happy Fall!
    Vicki and Jenn
    2 Bees in a Pod

October 3, 2016 at 1:08 pm Reply
  • Jenny Leads - Refresh Living

I just love your wreath and planter above your address! You chose the perfect plants for it!

October 3, 2016 at 6:57 pm Reply
  • Emily @ Two Purple Couches

This is a beautiful hanging basket, Kim! The mix of colors and types of plants make a great combo. I love how you decorated the rest of your porch, too 🙂

October 4, 2016 at 2:42 am Reply