One Room Challenge {Week One} – And so a Game Room begins

Posted in DECOR, DIY, GAME ROOM, MAKEOVER CHALLENGES
on October 5, 2016
Wednesday was the first official day of Calling it Home’s Fall edition of the One Room Challenge.

What’s the One Room Challenge, or ORC, as it’s affectionately called by us DIY bloggers? The ORC, a twice-a-year event, is a gathering together of 20 insanely talented bloggers who each commit to transforming one room in six short weeks. Crazy, right? But oh so fun! To include the rest of us,there is a linking participant event every Thursday for the next six weeks – that’s where I come in!

If you’re visiting from Calling it Home, it’s so great to meet you! My small family of seven (ha!) moved into this house about nine years ago. The first few years we spent most of our time keeping everyone alive – five is a fair number of kids. After being relatively successful with that, we decided to tackle a few DIY projects. Since then, little by little, we’ve been making this home truly our own! I hope you’ll stay and look around. You might enjoy a few details about our home, or if you’re so inclined, please check out the myriad of projects in the project library.

This is not my first ORC. It is the most excruciating, equally frustrating and exhilarating, intense and gratifying experience.. and I loved every minute of it when I took on the challenge last April to make over our dining room into a more multi-purpose space – specifically a playroom/dining room combination. After that, I never thought I’d be uttering these words again, I’m excited to say that I am signing up once again!

I’m not sure I knew what I was getting into with the first ORC, and I know my dear husband didn’t. Luckily for us both there’s been enough time in between that we’ve begun to think of the last round fondly and with a wee bit of humor rather than the crazy, hectic, intenseness that it was!
So why would I take this all on again you ask? Well, with great challenge comes great reward. Apparently, I thrive on madness with a side of stress. And luckily for me, my husband loves me a lot which helped me to convince him that this is a good idea. So here we go!
I’ve decided to make-over the bonus room over our garage. This room has had many lives and purposes in the nine years that we’ve lived here. It began as the shared bedroom of our younger girls. When they became old enough to move into their rooms, it then morphed into a classroom/craft/media room

As time has gone on it’s become less useful as a classroom. As much as I loved having a dedicated space for homeschooling, the inconvenience of running up and down the stairs after my son between lessons became a little impractical. As a result,  we’ve moved most of our learning out of this room and down to the kitchen table, with the school supplies being housed in the office, which is much more efficient. The room upstairs that was once a classroom is now more of a catch-all – of junk that is –  than of anything else, although it does still contain an obscene amount of crafting materials!

My goal is similar to that of my first ORC – to create a more functional space that our whole family can enjoy. I still need a place to hold my crafting supplies – that’s important. But more important, our kids are reaching a point where they need a place to hang-out with friends, and we need a place to entertain. The bottom line, we would like to have access to the beautiful pool table that is currently buried under a mountain of just about everything – Someone call Hoarders Anonymous.. for real!

And so the challenge becomes apparent! The challenge, my friends, is to create a space that the whole family can enjoy. This space has to include our buried pool table, a media area, an area to house crafting supplies, all that will allow for a comfy place for an occasional guest to sleep, in a 21ftx13ft room, all with a teeny bit of Art Noveau flare! A piece of cake, right?

So how my going to accomplish all of this? Well, for that answer, you’re going to have to stop by next week. For now, here is a bit of a sneak peek of some of the ideas I’ve been having!

Option 1

Option 2
Option 3

Let the games begin! I’M SO EXCITED!

Update: Wondering where to start? The best place is always the beginning!

If you’re looking for more ORC fun, you might want to take a look at these!

Spring ORC – Dining/Play Room – Week 2
Spring ORC – Dining Table

Don’t forget it! Pin It!

• Amanda @ Love & Renovations

Oooooh the sofa on option 2! I am swooning! Can't wait to see what you choose!

October 5, 2016 at 8:43 pm Reply
  • Ashley Mayes

I'm loving option two!! That green sofa is amazing!

October 6, 2016 at 11:52 am Reply
  • Danielle

I agree on option 2! Can't wait to see which you pick! This room is going to be so dramatic and good!

October 6, 2016 at 12:37 pm Reply
  • ElevenGables

I like option 3! Looking forward to following along this fall. I am doing the challenge for the first time. Already scrambling trying to tackle lots of projects with 4 kids under foot. It's going to be great though!! xox, Emily

October 6, 2016 at 2:52 pm Reply
  • Jennifer Fenton

We can't wait to follow along and see you work your magic! Best of luck!

Vicki and Jenn
    2 Bees in a Pod

October 6, 2016 at 3:21 pm Reply
  • Refashionably Late

What a fun area to create! It has so much potential for that large space! I love your option 2 decor choices! Any of them will look great in that space!

October 6, 2016 at 3:54 pm Reply
  • Uncookie Cutter

This is going to be so fun!! I love the yellow couch but the rug and coffee table in option 3!! can't wait to see what all you choose.

October 6, 2016 at 4:14 pm Reply
  • Theresa Beauteeful Living

That green sofa is too cool. Can't wait to follow along as you redo this space!

October 6, 2016 at 5:23 pm Reply
  • Lesley Metcalfe

It's fun when you're not just redecorating a room, but redecorating AND repurposing – double the fun! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

October 6, 2016 at 7:27 pm Reply
  • Maria Brittis

I am excited that you are in the ORC I love option 3, look forward to seeing the progress.
    Maria

October 6, 2016 at 8:26 pm Reply
  • jdonohoe

Loving option 3. Can't wait to see what you pick.

October 7, 2016 at 3:30 am Reply
  • Michelle Beaton

Wow what a fun project a game room! I like option 3!

October 7, 2016 at 3:33 am Reply
  • Lynn at Nourish and Nestle

Wow, I'm partial to option 1! Love that yellow sofa and the gray in the room; but truthfully, they are all great options!

October 7, 2016 at 8:41 pm Reply
  • Ariel Garneau

Look 3 is my favourite! I look forward to following along!

October 8, 2016 at 4:37 pm Reply
  • Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Total piece of cake 😉 I love the design options you've picked. And I totally feel you on the "catch all" room. We have one of those, too, that we call The Christmas Room because it's where we stash our holiday decorations… plus lots of other stuff. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you transform your space, Kim!

October 9, 2016 at 11:05 pm Reply
  • Heathered Nest

Such a fun collection of ideas!! Best of luck! Can't wait to see the final product!

October 10, 2016 at 12:39 am Reply
  • Katy {AShadeOfTeal}

Love your inspiration! I think Option 2 is my favorite. I'm excited to see what you go with.

October 10, 2016 at 3:18 am Reply

Thanks so much, Katy! I loved your nursery the last round and can't wait to see how your living room progresses!

October 11, 2016 at 11:30 pm Reply