$100 Room Challenge – Powder Room Reveal

Posted in BATHROOMS, DECOR, DIY, MAKEOVER CHALLENGES, ORGANIZATION
on January 26, 2017
So, are you ready for the $100 Room Challenge big reveal of my now much prettier powder room?

I’m going to keep you in suspense just a minute longer. First, let’s do a quick recap in case you’re just popping in for the first time, and aren’t sure what the $100 Room Challenge is.

Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry put together this fun, and fabulous event brings together some of my favorite bloggers, each making over a room with just $100 budget in four short weeks. For more information on the $100 Room Challenge, check out my post from week 1, or check here where Erin spells it out clearly.

I chose to make-over my overly-neglected powder room. It was dark, dreary and very unfinished – not ideal for what is probably the hardest working room in the house!

Week 1 // Week 2 // Week 3 // Week 4

The first week I shared my inspiration board which included a lot of bold navy and green pattern with strong accents, and I was feeling pretty good about my choices, but it was the execution that made me second guess myself. Week 2 I talked about my inability to trust my bold instincts and left off with me stenciling a bold navy pattern. Week 3 I shared a new direction, which in reality means I was actually just getting started on this challenge.. and this week. Well, I know why you’re really here, so let’s get to it! Grab a coffee – or a glass of wine, because it’s always five o’clock somewhere, and I’ll bring on the obscene amount of pictures! Make sure to scroll to the bottom for my budget breakdown and to see the other oodles of beautiful room make-overs from my blogging pals!

We added shelving above the commode.  We made the shelves using 1″x 6″ pine leftover from the built-ins we made for the last One Room Challenge. To beef them up, we stacked two boards on top of one another and added a lattice strip trim to hide the seam. Ironically, I had purchased brackets for this room a million moons ago but had never gotten around to hanging the actual shelves.  The shelves hold decorative objects as well as closed storage for odds and ends, in what was once a blank space.
Vase |
Love Print – Similar
Hexagon Print | Cactus Print | Girl on a Rock Print | Llama Print| Watercolor Print | Palm Tree Print
I struggled with the idea of artwork. I wanted something that would have a presence, a bit of color, but would not overwhelm or underwhelm the bold pattern of the walls. I couldn’t find any one single thing, so I created a gallery of images all found on Etsy and added a simple frame. The images were printed onto printable vinyl and applied to a 10″x10″ canvas

Hexagon Print | | Llama Print|
 Girl on a Rock Print Palm Tree Print

Hexagon Print | Cactus Print | Girl on a Rock Print Llama PrintWatercolor Print | Palm Tree Print

We added a brushed nickel towel bar on the wall adjacent to the sink.
 The towels were on clearance – lucky me!
Of course, the biggest change was the addition of the Caitlyn Wilson Wallpaper hack that was made by loosely stenciling a similar pattern with paint. The room desperately needed some oomph and this more than supplied that in spades.

It wasn’t in the budget to change the light fixture, so instead, we changed out the globe shades. This is a relatively inexpensive upgrade that makes a tremendous difference, not only to the look of the fixture, but also the amount of light it gives off. This room really needs a 3-bulb fixture, but the white shades do help quite a bit in the interim until it’s in the budget to replace it.

I very much wanted a gilded mirror in this room but replacing the mirror would have cost a fortune. Instead, the one we had received a silver-leafing and stencil update, making it affordable and fun!

The vanity received a new finish in week two with a bold navy blue with the slightest of sheen. New cabinet pulls had the existing vanity looking brand new.

Under the sink also got a little TLC. Gone is the disorganization! At some point, I’ll get to making it a bit prettier, but for now, it’s much more functional.

Using the doors for toothbrush and hair paraphernalia increased the available storage substantially, and helps to keep things out of the sight of guests.

Last, after much deliberation on what to do with the rug, I decided on keeping it exactly how it is. The pattern on the rug compliments the similar pattern on the mirror.

Here was my to-do list – can I just tell you how excited I am that I completed nearly everything!?

• Add some bold pattern to the walls
  • Find a better solution for toothbrushes and hand towels
  • Organize
  • Change the artwork
  • Replace the trash can, toothbrush holder, and towel bar.
  • Create storage for hair products
  • Consider replacing the rug
  • Update the lighting
I’m considering this project a BIG win if all I’m left with is replacing the trash can!

Let’s talk budget.

First, can I just say that staying within a $100 was challenging, but it’s definitely do-able. Lucky for me I’m a hoarder, and tend to over-buy supplies which meant much of what I used I had on hand from other projects. Still, I did go a tiny bit over. But, I’m fine with it. 🙂

Let’s look back just one more time –

BEFORE

AFTER!

And with that said, Knock it Off Kim, OUT! At least for now. But, before you go, check out the other reveals.. and get more wine!

Want to see where we started? You can check here!

Week 1 // Week 2 // Week 3 // Week 4

You can subscribe via email and never miss a post.

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

You can also find me on Social Media!

Facebook // Pinterest // Instagram // Twitter // Google+

Make sure you check out these other room makeovers!

• Maria Brittis

You have dazzled me with that powder room! that stencil job is amazing and it looked difficult. Great Job
    Maria

January 27, 2017 at 10:55 am Reply

Thank you, Maria! It was actually surprisingly simple.. time-consuming but not difficult at all! It’s like making a meal that looks as though you spent ALL day in the kitchen when you really spent 15 minutes. Somehow that makes it taste even better!

January 29, 2017 at 10:04 am Reply
  • Mary Hunnicutt

This is fabulous! I love the blue vanity cabinets and the fun wall treatment!

January 27, 2017 at 12:10 pm Reply

Thanks so much, Mary! I love them too!

January 29, 2017 at 10:02 am Reply
  • Zografia Avgerou

Oh my! What a transformation! Knock it off Kim! I can't have wine, but i'll go get an alcohol-free beer! Cheers!

January 27, 2017 at 2:54 pm Reply

Zografia, I’ll have your portion. 🙂 Thank you so much!

January 29, 2017 at 10:05 am Reply
  • Erin @ Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

This bathroom makeover is crazy! (In a very good way 🙂 ) You were so right about painting that pattern. This bathroom just came to life over the past 4 weeks. So impressed. Happy you decided to join the challenge.

January 27, 2017 at 4:16 pm Reply

Thanks so much, Erin, and thank you for putting together this challenge. It’s been SO fun and I can’t wait to participate again!

January 29, 2017 at 10:06 am Reply
  • Roxanne

Kim, this is beautiful! I can’t believe you did it for only $100. Love those shelves and the arrow art! I thought that was actually wallpaper on the walls until I read the post, great job!

January 27, 2017 at 4:35 pm Reply

Thank you, Roxanne! Staying close to budget isn’t normally my forte, but believe me when I say my husband is THRILLED!

January 29, 2017 at 10:07 am Reply
  • Patti

Your bathroom makeover is amazing. Now the bathroom is extremely bright and fun. I bet it makes you smile ever time you go in or by it.

January 27, 2017 at 4:50 pm Reply

Thank you, Patti.. I confess to spending a little more than normal time in there right now. 🙂

January 29, 2017 at 10:08 am Reply
  • Meredith @ The Palette Muse

This is ah-mazing! I don’t even know where to start. The navy cabinet, that rug, and of course the wallpaper are just perfect. What a transformation!

January 27, 2017 at 7:05 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Meredith! It was such a fun challenge.. Painting that “wallpaper” was my favorite part!

January 27, 2017 at 10:33 pm Reply
  • Brittany Merth

Wow, what a transformation! I love love love those prints!!! Nice work!

January 29, 2017 at 9:11 pm Reply
  • Kathy

Say what?!? I had to take a double look. This is AMAZING!! Love your Caitlyn Wilson wallpaper hack and the artwork and styling is just perfect. Wow! It looks way more expensive than a $100 makeover!

January 30, 2017 at 2:32 am Reply
  • Sophie Gillum-Webb

I can’t believe how much you have achieved definitely a big win! love the walls!!

Soph x

January 30, 2017 at 11:20 am Reply
  • Robyn Proctor

Wow, that looks amazing! I really love the wallpaper.

January 30, 2017 at 11:33 am Reply
  • candy

The bathroom is the smallest room in the house and I like the way you broke down where the 100.00 went. Like how you just changed the globes and not who fixtures. Love the details.

January 30, 2017 at 11:39 am Reply
  • Amy @ mylifefromhome

I absolutely LOVE what you did with this powder room! It is so colorful and fun. Your art prints are fab!

January 30, 2017 at 3:11 pm Reply
  • Kristen

Just look at that pattern! Wow! Not a boring bathroom anymore. I love the rug in there too, and all your decor you added! Love it!

January 30, 2017 at 7:14 pm Reply
  • Mytha Reyna

It came out looking amazing! Everything fit so well together!

January 30, 2017 at 10:27 pm Reply
  • Carrie

Wow, this bathroom is so fun now! I love all the color and fun accents!

February 1, 2017 at 9:37 pm Reply
  • Leanna

This is a super bright, cute , playful full of life makeover. You would think it cost a thousand. Love it.

I have been considering wainscoting in the bathroom, but I prefer this idea as I think the cleaning will be easier.

February 2, 2017 at 12:01 am Reply
  • Erin

What a fun powder room makeover, Kim! I love the black and white wall treatment and all of the pops of color. Great job!

February 2, 2017 at 6:53 pm Reply
  • Natalie

This is SO gorgeous!! Probably my favorite makeover of the challenge! I LOVE the wall treatment and the artwork! Everything is incredible! Great job!

February 3, 2017 at 12:31 pm Reply
  • Amy | Stow and TellU

Knock it off Kim, you knocked it out of the park from diy wall stencil treatment to clever storage and such fun artwork. What a total transformation!!

February 4, 2017 at 10:50 am Reply