$100 Room Challenge – Week 2 – Losing the Battle

Posted in BATHROOMS, DECOR, DIY, MAKEOVER CHALLENGES
on January 11, 2017
Hi, friends! Welcome back to the second week of the $100 Room Challenge!

If you’re just popping in for the first time, and aren’t sure what the $100 Room Challenge may be, let me give you a quick recap.

Some of my favorite bloggers and I will all be making over a room with a $100 budget in just four short weeks! Many thanks to Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry for putting together such a fun event! For more information on the $100 Room Challenge, check out my post from last week
If you’re looking for the full story on what exactly a $100 Room Challenge is, Erin spells it out clearly, but I’ll give you the paraphrased version. Pick a room. Make the room over in one month. Spend no more than $100.
I am in the process of making over my much-neglected powder room. Last week I shared my inspiration board which included a lot of bold navy and green pattern with strong accents and I was feeling pretty good about my choices.

Succulent Print – Minted // Umbra Wall Planters – Amazon // Mirror – Walmart // Hand Towels – Amazon // Rug – Amazon

This week.. not so much!
So, I really loved the greek key pattern in my inspiration board but I was having a difficult time finding a stencil in my budget range. I did, however, find this fun stencil that I thought would work just as well.

To save time and materials I decided to go with a line pattern in green with gold and navy accents. Even though my heart was saying “No! Go bold!” I went with my head, which was saying “Go subtle, you’ll have more flexibility.”
I should have gone with my heart.
I purchased the stencil for $12, and already had the paint pens I thought I would use, but when I started to stencil it out I really wasn’t overly impressed, and neither was my husband. I wanted bold but the paint pen just made things look unfinished.

Soo.. I’m going back to my original plan to go bold with paint. And although it isn’t currently looking like I’d like it to, I have faith it will! Although it won’t be as flexible and it might not have the staying power that something less bold would have, I will LOVE it instead of always looking at it like “meh..” I’m not really where I’d like to be, but I think I’m on the right track. I promise to have a LOT more progress to show you next week!
Week 1 // Week 2 // Week 3 // Week 4

My current budget:

Week 1: $0
Week 2: Stencil:  $12
___________________
Total remaining:  $88
If you would like to follow along with the $100 Room Challenge, you can subscribe via email  HERE and never miss a post.

You can also find me on Social Media.

Facebook // Pinterest // Instagram // Twitter // Google+

Make sure you check out these other room makeovers! I bet many of these ladies are in much better shape than I am!

• Ashley Mayes

I fight with myself on subtle versus what my heart says too. Can't wait to see more next week! I'll be painting as well this weekend!

January 12, 2017 at 7:30 am Reply
  • Maria Brittis

OOOO! I love a stenciled wall, should look amazing! Maria

January 12, 2017 at 9:26 am Reply
  • Meredith Wouters

I don't think you'll be sorry you went bold. It'll look great!

January 12, 2017 at 1:23 pm Reply
  • Maureen

I am impressed that you are stencilling an entire wall! Glad you decided to go with your heart and go bold in the end!

January 12, 2017 at 1:27 pm Reply
  • Amy Ellis

Go bold or go home, they say. Keep up the great work and follow your heart. I think your stenciled wall will have gorgeous impact!

January 12, 2017 at 8:39 pm Reply
  • Eliesa Prettelt

I can't tell you how many times what I thought in my head didn't work out like I planned… I like the pattern you chose, and the colors in your inspiration board are awesome – one of my favorite color palettes of the challenge, in fact. You've got this!

January 12, 2017 at 8:58 pm Reply
  • Natalie Dixon

I adore the colors you chose and am right there with you on the bold vs subtle battle! I do it all the time and am always thrilled when I go bold! I cannot wait to see it all come together!

January 12, 2017 at 10:21 pm Reply
  • Patti Estep

You know, I've totally been there. You have this great idea but somehow it just doesn't work out that great. How nice to share with your readers the stumbling blocks of makeovers. I'm sure you'll find that right technique and can't wait to see it.

January 13, 2017 at 4:44 pm Reply
  • Carrie @ lovely etc.

Yay, I always vote for going with your gut! Excited to see the finished product.

January 13, 2017 at 6:15 pm Reply
  • Zografia Avgerou

Love is always bettet than "meh…". so go with it!

January 15, 2017 at 8:31 am Reply
  • I Am a Homemaker

It will look great. Sometimes the in between stage gets nerve wracking 🙂

January 15, 2017 at 10:19 am Reply
  • Timeless Creations, LLC

I love that bold stencil design you decided on. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

January 15, 2017 at 10:26 pm Reply
  • Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

I think going bold with paint is a great choice, especially because that was your vision all along. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

January 16, 2017 at 12:58 pm Reply
  • Kathy@ uptodateinteriors.com

I'm glad you changed to bold! It's going to look fabulous and all of your hard work will be worth it! xoxo

January 18, 2017 at 10:02 pm Reply
  • Angie at Postcards from the Ridge

I can't wait to see the bold colors you go with. Nothing wrong with changing directions mid stream. Happens all the time to me!

January 19, 2017 at 4:13 pm Reply