One Room Challenge {Inexpensive Foyer Make-over} The Reveal

Posted in DECOR, DIY, MAKEOVER CHALLENGES, OneRoomChallenge
on May 11, 2017

I’m so excited to share the results of my inexpensive foyer makeover for the One Room Challenge, completed just six (actually five) short weeks (gasp)!

YAY! A few weeks back – six to be exact – I shared my plans to make-over my foyer for my third One Room ChallengeAlthough I get a big fat fail on updating you on the progress of said make-over, I hope you’ll forgive me when you’ve seen what I’ve accomplished. For all the pretty pictures, keep scrolling for major Before & After action!

THE BEFORE

Let’s start at the beginning. My foyer, while not horrendous, felt incomplete and didn’t compliment and flow into the adjoining rooms. The area didn’t reflect our style. More than anything it had carpeted stairs – I hate carpet on the stairs!

THE NOW

As you can tell, we’ve made a few changes. 🙂

MUCH NEEDED STAIRCASE MAKE-OVER// We removed the carpet from the stairs, during which I spent a lot of time wishing vacuumed more often #gross. After a whole lot of filling and sanding on the stair treads, we painted and stenciled the entire area. During that process, it seemed like a good idea to continue the board and batten already in the foyer up to the wall of the staircase as well. That had not been in the initial plan, but it made sense.

LIGHT FIXTURE// The light fixture WAS terrible. I found a way-out-of-my-budget gorgeous light fixture at Anthropologie but then found a fabulous tutorial on making my own version. I’ll be sharing how I made the light in the next few weeks.

DIY FLOATING CONSOLE TABLE AND OTTOMANS // With only enough space for a console table in the front entrance, there wasn’t any for seating. To get around this, we decided on a DIY floating console table that would allow for ottomans underneath. Look for an upcoming tutorial on how I made the console table out of an inexpensive chest of drawers!

PET STATION// We needed a pet station to store leashes and business-bags. Luckily, the new and larger floating table allowed for both storing our pet leashes and business-bags, as well as the necessary hat and glove storage.

MODERN ECLECTIC ACCENTS // I found a few accents at Target, with the once-black mirror getting a quick paint job.

RUG // I went through more than one rug during this project. An awkward space, the entry way in my home, requires a 4’x6′ rug that I found hard to find. I settled on this wide-striped rug, also found at Target, in a 5’x8′ and customized it to my space. I’ll be sharing a tutorial on how to customize a rug in another post. The indoor/outdoor carpet ensures it will hold up to the steady traffic and will be easy to keep clean.

PAINTED DOOR // The added bold blue to the door completed the project!

THE DESIGN INFLUENCE // The foyer is flanked by four – yes, four – other rooms,  all that have received more of our love and attention.

The office and living room are both ongoing projects that are slowly evolving to the look and feel we strive for. We recently updated the powder room, and of course, made-over the Dining room/playroom during my first One Room Challenge. Every room has elements of my favorite style – a mostly neutral palette with a mostly traditional vibe, but with a side of the eclectic and whimsy. Don’t forget the mandatory splashes of bold color and pattern!

And now.. the foyer is in perfect balance with them all!

One more time!

BEFORE

AFTER

I couldn’t be more thrilled with the results! a HUGE Thank you to Linda for organizing the One Room Challenge. The One Room Challenge is a LOT of hard work, but it’s also ridiculously fun for me.  I’m so grateful to be able to do what I love and to be able to share it all with you.  It’s pretty much my favorite.

Thanks so much for taking a look! If you’ve liked this post, consider following me on Social Media or subscribing to make sure you don’t miss anything.

Facebook // Pinterest // Instagram // Twitter // Google+

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

• Delia Gibbs

I love it! Such a cool space. I love the illusion created by the stair stencil…so pretty.

May 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm Reply

Thank you, Delia! I’d originally planned to stencil the back of the treads as well but ain’t nobody got time for all of that! I liked this look just as well without all of the extra work.

May 12, 2017 at 10:36 am Reply
  • Roxanne

I love your gorgeous staircase! This looks beautiful, the yellow mirror really pops against that gray wall!

May 11, 2017 at 8:26 pm Reply

Thanks, Roxanne! And thank you for all of the encouragement on the yellow – what would I do without y’all? <3

May 12, 2017 at 10:37 am Reply
  • Robin

Those stairs! You’ve been so busy! The whole area looks phenomenal!

May 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm Reply

Thanks, Robin! I have! Not writing posts! haha These challenges are all-consuming but oh so fun!

May 12, 2017 at 10:38 am Reply
  • Cassie Bustamante

i LOVE the more modern look and that floating piece! and that light- oh wow what a great statement! i can’t believe it was a DIY!

May 12, 2017 at 7:29 am Reply

Thanks so much, Cassie! I can’t either – I was shocked at how well the light turned out – I’m a little obsessed with it. Tutorial coming soon!

May 12, 2017 at 10:39 am Reply
  • Amy

It’s beautiful, Kim!! I love all the elements and the yellow mirror just pops! Great job!

May 12, 2017 at 7:54 am Reply

Thank you, Amy! You guys are the best encouragement ever – I was so not sure about the yellow, but you were all right!

May 12, 2017 at 10:41 am Reply
  • April R - Uncookie Cutter

I can’t get over how good those stairs look!! Love the colors and the mirror turned out wonderful! Great job!

May 12, 2017 at 10:27 am Reply

Thanks April! You know I love my color! Another ORC – done. Virtual high-five!

May 12, 2017 at 11:00 am Reply
  • Jessica Vanderveen

Great job! I’m sure those stairs were a ton of work!

May 12, 2017 at 2:55 pm Reply
  • Nicole Q-Schmitz

Whoa I love the floating console and seating idea – plus those ottomans are AMAZING! I also liked that you continued the board and batten up the stairs

May 13, 2017 at 11:09 am Reply
  • Emy

What a transformation! The light fixture is stunning!

May 13, 2017 at 5:10 pm Reply
  • Erin- Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

Wow! That staircase is incredible!!! I, too, hate carpet on the staircase, and you came up with such a beautiful solution. I also love that blue door! Great job!

May 15, 2017 at 8:40 am Reply
  • mary

I LOVE the stenciled stairs! I have ripped the carpet off the basement stairs, but had not decided on a paint/color for them yet. I am pinning this for inspiration! And that light fixture is AMAZING!

May 15, 2017 at 11:58 am Reply
  • Emily

Kim, your foyer looks amazing!!!! I can’t believe the transformation to your stairs! Wow!! Love the stencil, the new board and batten, your DIY light fixture, floating console… all of it 🙂

May 18, 2017 at 12:23 pm Reply
  • Kristin

Love all of the pops of color with that gorgeous mirror and light fixture. I love your ORC makeover, great work! Kristin @ Postbox Designs

May 19, 2017 at 4:15 pm Reply